Submitted by EPSA.
Call for Venues – 8th EPSA Biennial Conference 2021
The European Philosophy of Science Association (EPSA) calls for proposals for the venue of EPSA21, its eighth conference, to be held in the autumn of 2021. The biennial conference is the main scientific event of the EPSA, typically attracting 300-400 philosophers of science from across the world. It usually comprises 200 contributed and symposia talks, organized in as many as eight different sections, and taking place in five or six parallel sessions. A selection of papers from the conference will be published as a special edition of the European Journal for Philosophy of Science.
The conference is typically hosted by a philosophy of science unit, and its venue must be a recognized European academic or research institution. The event takes place in the autumn over a period of 3-4 days (which must include a Saturday) in alternating years to the conferences of the Philosophy of Science Association (PSA). Past conferences have taken place at Madrid (2007), Amsterdam (2009), Athens (2011), Helsinki (2013), Düsseldorf (2015), and Exeter (2017). EPSA19 will take place in Geneva, Switzerland.
A Local Organizing Committee (LOC) is set up at the host institution — with a remit to organize the event itself. About one year in advance, the Steering Committee (SC) of the EPSA puts out a call for papers and selects a Program Committee (PC) comprising distinguished philosophers of science. The LOC, SC, and PC are non-overlapping sets of people, with the exception of the Chairs of the LOC and PC, who may be drawn from the SC.
Proposals (one PDF document) should be submitted to the President of the Association (Prof. Samir Okasha. email: email@example.com) by August 17, 2019 and must include the following:
- The name of the organizing unit or research institution.
- The name of the academic or research institute hosting the event.
- The proposed dates in the autumn of 2021 (expected to be a long weekend from end of August to end of November 2021).
- The names of the members of the LOC, including Chair(s) and/or Deputy. (Please note that the members of the LOC have to be EPSA members.)
- The CV of the Chair(s) of the LOC.
- An estimated budget proposal, including rough estimates for the following expenses: a) building and facilities, b) catering, c) conference registration packs (x200 delegates minimum), d) personnel, e) expected financial contribution by the host institution and/or a funding agency.