Submitted by Christian Sachse (University of Geneva).
The 8th Congress of the Society for the Philosophy of Science
September 9-11 2020
University of Mons (Belgium)
The next meeting of the Société de philosophie des sciences (SPS: https://www.sps-philoscience.org/) will take place on September 9-11 2020 at the University of Mons (Belgium).
Organisation committee: Antoine Brandelet (University of Mons), Anne Staquet (University of Mons), Alice Van Helden (University of Namur), Bertrand Hespel (University of Namur), Dominique Lambert (University of Namur).
The main theme of the 2020 congress will be: “Science and scientificity”
More information can be found on the website; here are some inspiring key words (NOTA BENE: any proposal for a contribution in the field of philosophy of science will be considered):
- Science and pseudoscience
- Challenges imposed by the evolution of scientific practices (e.g. open data, participatory science, publication of negative results)
- Production of ignorance (scientific expertise, fake news, merchants of doubt, etc.)
- Scientific values, scientific integrity and evaluation of science
- Scientific culture (“public understanding of science”)
The meeting is composed of:
(1) invited speakers (TBA)
(2) Symposia (In English or French) of 3-4 interventions on one specific theme; the total length of a symposium is 1h30-2h according to the number of included interventions. Symposia a highly recommended, notably if they include both scientific and philosophical interventions.
(3) Individiual papers (In English or French), suitable for a 30-minute presentation (discussion included),
Deadline for submission: 30 April 2020
Submission via the website https://sps2020.sciencesconf.org/
- In French or in English
- Suitable for a 30-minute presentation (discussion included)
- About the theme of the meeting or any other topic in philosophy of science
Symposium (3 people):
- In French or in English
- Suitable for a 90- or 120-minute symposium, depending on how many interventions are included
- About the theme of the meeting or any other topic in the philosophy of science
Scientific Committee: TBA
Short abstract + extended abstract joined in .pdf or .doc
For a symposium:
- Title of the symposium
- Short abstract (max. 250 words) describing the general topic
- Extended anonymous abstract in a separated file (.pdf or .doc, max. 2500 words) describing the symposium in general and each presentation (max. 4 participants)
- Title of the presentation
- Short abstract (max. 250 words)
- Extended abstract in a separated file (.pdf or .doc, max. 1000 words)
Extended abstracts must be ready for anonymous review, any name or affiliation should not be mentioned.
Notification of acceptance: May 31 2020
Inscriptions from May 31 2020 to 15 August 2020
For any inquiries, please contact Antoine Brandelet (firstname.lastname@example.org)