Submitted by Lena Kästner (Saarland University).
The Department of Philosophy at Saarland University is seeking applications for a Research Assistant (m/f/d) position to be filled as soon as possible:
Reference Number W1485; salary in accordance with the German TV-L salary scale, pay grade E13 TV-L, employment: period: 3 years, hours worked: 50 % of the standard working hours.
You will hold a faculty position associated with the junior professorship for Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Systems at the Department of Philosophy at Saarland University.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities:
- seeking academic qualification by conducting a PhD or PostDoc project
- independent teaching of once course per semester (2 SWS)
- supporting the junior professor for Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Systems, e.g. in the academic administration
You will be granted individual supervision for your PhD or PostDoc project with the possibility to engage in collaborative work with empirical researchers (e.g. from psychology or computer science). Additionally, you will have the opportunity to further develop your personal academic profile. The campus wide Graduate Program GradUS offers various individual qualification measures and networking opportunities for PhD students at Saaarland University.
Your academic qualifications:
You hold an academic degree (e.g. masters or diploma) in philosophy or another subject area relevant to the philosophy of the mind and cognitive systems (e.g. cognitive science, psychology, computer science) or, if you are applying as a PostDoc, you hold a PhD in a relevant area.
The successful candidate will also be expected to:
- be fluent in written and spoken English,
- be able to communicate in German or be willing to learn German (ideally, he/she will able to teach in German),
- have significant training in analytical philosophy or to be able to provide evidence of relevant analytic philosophy competence,
- to be highly interested in working at the intersection of Philosophy of Science and Philosophy of Mind, e.g. on the topics of discovery and explanation of cognitive phenomena,
- have a concrete outline of your project or a first draft (approx. 2 pages) based on which you aim to develop your project
- enjoy working in teams and developing collaborative projects
- enjoy working in an interdisciplinary environment and have the ability to share his/her expertise with researchers from other disciplines
- be willing to present his/her work internationally and represent the subject area of Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Systems
What we offer:
- A flexible work schedule (e.g. telecommuting) allowing you to balance work and family.
- A broad range of further education and professional development programs.
- An occupational health management model with numerous attractive options, such as our university sports program.
- Supplementary pension scheme (RZVK).
- Discounted tickets on local public transport services (‘Jobticket‘).
We are looking forward to receive your (written) application under Reference Number W1485 by March 11th 2019. It should include your project outline, CV, relevant certificates, the names of two reviewers and a writing sample (max. 20 pages, e.g. an essay, a paper, part of the master thesis, etc.).
Please submit your application – preferably digital, in a single .pdf file – to:
Universität des Saarlandes
JProf. Dr. Lena Kästner
Campus A2 3, Zi.: 0.04
Application documents will not be returned. Please only submit copies of your documents and do not use plastic wallets, folders, ring binders, etc.
If you have any questions, please contact us for assistance.
Your contact: JProf. Dr. Lena Kästner (firstname.lastname@example.org) Tel.: +49 681 302 2841
In accordance with the objectives of its equal opportunities plan, Saarland University seeks to increase the proportion of women in this field. Qualified women candidates are therefore strongly encouraged to apply. Preferential consideration will be given to applications from disabled candidates of equal eligibility.
Pay grade classification is based on the particular details of the position held and the extent to which the applicant meets the requirements of the pay grade within the TV-L salary scale.
When you submit a job application to Saarland University you will be transmitting personal data. Please refer to our privacy notice for information on how we collect and process personal data in accordance with Art. 13 of the Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (DS-GVO). By submitting your application you confirm that you have taken note of the information in the Saarland University privacy notice (Datenschutzerklärung).
This is a translation of the official German job offer which can be retrieved at: https://www.uni-saarland.de/fileadmin/user_upload/verwaltung/stellen/wissenschaftler/W1485.pdf