Within the DFG-funded project “Learning from Nature: Epistemological and Ontological Foundations of Biomimetics”, affiliated with the Institute of Philosophy at the University of Rostock (Prof. Dr. Ludger Jansen), we
are looking for a researcher for the following role:
Postdoctoral Researcher (“Wissenschaftliche*r Mitarbeiter*in”, m/f/d) EG 13 TV-L, full-time, 40 h/week, temporary project position
It is intended to fill the role at the earliest possible date. The position is initially limited until 29.02.2024 with the possibility of extension till the end of the project (overall for up to 30 month).
The researcher is expected to contribute to a corpus of research examples to be analysed in the project, to analyse the reasoning patterns in these projects and to review their ontological commitments.
Based on this, the foundational categories of biomimetics (like functions, working principles, and constructions) are to be analysed using First-Order Logic and the Web Ontology Language. Further details at https://biomimetics.hypotheses.org/.
- Completed doctorate in philosophy, biomimetics, biology, engineering or another subject relevant to the project with at least good results
- Ability for conceptual thinking and formal analysis
- Ability to cooperate in a diverse team and in an interdisciplinary environment
- Ability to work independently on new topics with curiosity, creativity, and passion for research
- Flexibility to travel to and present research at conferences
- A good command of written and spoken English
The following will be considered a plus:
- Competence in the Philosophy of Science, of Biology and of Engineering
- Domain knowledge in Biology and Engineering (or maybe even in Biomimetics)
- Skills and experience in Applied Ontology (OWL, BFO, Protege …)
- Skills and experience in Workshop organisation
- German language skills
- A diverse, varied and challenging job in a tradition-conscious, yet innovative, modern and family-friendly university in a lively city by the sea.
- Employment relationship under the provisions of the Collective
Agreement for the Public Service of the Länder (TV-L) with the employer Federal State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, represented by the University of Rostock
- Remuneration with pay group 13 if the personal and collective agreement requirements are met
- An individual assignment of the experience level according to the collective agreement, taking into account your previous professional experience
30 days annual leave and special annual payment; additional pension scheme (VBL)
- Flexible working time arrangements
- A wide range of offers to promote health and reconcile work and family life, e.g. through our family office or our URgesund health management system.
- Variety of further training opportunities, including language courses, IT courses, seminars for professional development
- Possibility of participation in the extensive range of university sports on offerThe project is based in Rostock and Tübingen; the position advertised will be affiliated with the University of Rostock. Home office arrangements are possible, but availability for team meetings and conference visits is required.
We as employer
Equal opportunities are important to us. We welcome applications from suitable severely disabled persons or persons of equal status. We aim to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and therefore
encourage relevantly qualified women to apply. We welcome applications from people of other nationalities or with a migration background.
The fixed term of the employment relationship is based on § 14 (1) TzBfG for the replacement of Professor Jansen due to his call as Cusanus professor at the PTH Brixen.
In principle, the position is also suitable for part-time employment. If corresponding applications are received, it will be examined whether the part-time wishes can be met within the scope of the official possibilities.
If desired, the staff council (Personalvertretung) can be consulted in the selection process. Please enclose an informal application with your application documents.
We look forward to receiving your online application with complete, informative documents (cover letter, CV, diploma with indication of final grade, writing sample and name of references) by 15.02.2023 at the latest. Only applications received via our application portal and containing all requested documents will be considered:
bposting/3c98b9386e02323648c50 e0d6213a89ddea196f20?ref= homepage
Unfortunately, application and travel costs cannot be covered by the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
For further information please contact:
Institute of Philosophy: Prof. Dr. Ludger Jansen,
Personell service: Mrs. Beatrice Gutzmer, Tel. 0381/498-1277